Permits are obtained by submitting an electronic application on the Permit Portal https://portal.cityoflaurel.org/Energov_Prod/SelfService#/home
The following steps must be followed when using the Permit Portal:
- Create a New Account (click on the Login or Register button) or if you already have an account (sign In through this button).
- After you sign on, click on the Permit button.
- Find the permit that you are looking for and click on the Apply blue button to start the process.
- Fill in all information leaving no blanks.
The zoning ordinance allows for a residence to serve as a family day care for up to eight (8) unrelated minors, provided that the care providers are the owners and/or full-time residents of the residence hosting the family day care and have met any and all federal, state, and local licensing requirements; in particular, Subtitle 5 of the Family Law Article of the Annotated Code of Maryland. Any residence providing care to more than eight (8) unrelated minors must obtain a special exception from the Planning Commission and Board of Appeals.
Each applicant for a Family Day Care must obtain a Use & Occupany Permit and a Family Day Care License.
To obtain a use and occupancy permit to establish a family day care, you must submit an application to the Department of the Fire Marshal & Permit Services. If the applicant is not the owner of the property hosting the family day care, written permission from the property owner must be included with the application. The fee for a family day care permit is $250.
- Use and Occupancy Permit Application