About the Program
The purpose of the Main Street Business Relocation Grant Program is to help defer the costs of physically moving an existing business to a vacant storefront or to assist in the start-up of a new business in a vacant storefront.
The City of Laurel provides these grants to help business succeed and grow in the Main Street business area and in the process continue to provide and create local jobs for residents of the greater Laurel area.
The redevelopment of the Main Street area and the retention of commercial uses is crucial to maintaining an economically strong Main Street; a commercial area where the image, appearance, and environment encourage walkability and attract shoppers.
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a first-come, first served basis. Submission of an incomplete or inaccurate application may result in ineligibility. Please read all grant terms, application instructions and the Program's Funding Agreement before starting and submitting your application. One application per business entity is accepted. CLICK HERE to see the Relocation Grant area map.
The Program provides participants the opportunity to receive a reimbursement not to exceed $10,000 for approved relocation expenses. Funds are limited and will be awarded to qualifying projects on a first-come first-serve basis.
Funds for this grant are provided by the City of Laurel.
The applicant must first have a pre-application meeting with a representative from the Department of Economic and Community Development to determine eligibility. Once determined eligible to apply, the applicatn can submit a completed application accompanied by any preliminary plans. All plans must follow appropriate design guidelines and code requirements. Improvements made prior to the approval of the application and execution of the agreement are ineligible for reimbursement.
All improvements must conform to all Building Codes, Zoning Regulations, and Historic District Commission Guidelines of the City of Laurel and to criteria developed for this program.
Use of Funds
Eligible Costs may include moving costs (truck rental or professional mover), connection and transfer of new utility services, installation costs of equipment required for the business, but not the equipment itself; interior remodeling of new location, exterior signs, and other moving incidentals. Professional, engineering, architectural and permit fees may also be included in the relocation costs.
Eligible Business Types
- Specialty / Unique Retail
- Apparel / Shoe Store
- Coffee shop
- Ice Cream Shop
- Full Service / Fine Dining Restaurant
- Grocery Store / Gourmet Food Store
- Health Club / Yoga Studio
- Entertainment / Family Fun
Ineligible Business Types or Persons
- Office Based Businesses
- Membership-Only Businesses (e.g. businesses that do not allow walk-in customers or businesses that primarily serve membership holding clients)
- Personal Care Service Businesses (e.g. salons, barberships, massage)
- Houses of Worship
- Home-Based Businesses
- Banks and Financial Institutions
- Food Trucks
- Corporate-Owned Franchises
- Businesses that do not have a physical commercial location
- Businesses located outisde of the Relocaiton Grant area
- Businesses in which City Staff and/or elected officals of the City have a financial interest of at least 25%
Other Eligiblity Requirements
- Grant Application must be started within one (1) year of the City of Laurel issuance of the business' Use and Occupancy permit
- Five (5) year lease agreement for a property within the Relocation Grant area
- Letter of Agreement from the Property Owner (only applicable if the business is not the property owner)
- Proof of Ownership (only applicable if the business is the property owner)
- Current Business Plan
- Only one (1) Relocation grant can be awarded per address in a three (3) year period
- Please read all eligibility requirements thoroughly before beginning your application.
- The application may not be updated after submission. Please make sure your application is correct and complete before submitting.
- Only one application submission per business entity will be considered.
- Submission of an incomplete and/or inaccurate, application may disqualify a business from being awarded funding. Please check your application for completeness and accuracy before submitting.
- Applications must be submitted through this online application portal
- If assistance is needed with the application, please contact [email protected] for assistance.
This application has a rolling deadline with a set fund amount. Once the grant fund is depleted, applications will no longer be accepted.
Businesses are only eligible to submit a completed Relocation Grant application within one (1) year of the issue date printed on their City of Laurel Use and Occupancy permit.
If an extension is needed, a business may submit a formal letter to the Department of Economic and Community Development requesting an extension of up to six (6) months.
Applications will only be accepted electronically through the online application portal. One application per business entity will be accepted.
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis. Submission of an incomplete or inaccurate application may result in ineligibility. If you have any questions regarding this grant opportunity, please contact [email protected].