Property owners are responsible for the safe and proper maintenance of public sidewalks along their property.  Please report hazardous conditions by clicking here or by calling 301-725-0088. The Department has an on-going maintenance and replacement program.

Maintenance and Replacement Location Map

Public Works want it's resident's to be informed of hazardous sidwalk locations, i.e. tripping hazards, water ponding, or improper grade alignment, as well as issues with the curb and gutter or ADA Handicap ramps that need to be repaired or upgraded.    


New Sidewalks

The construction of new sidewalks can be requested by petition, by property owners, or directed by the Mayor and City Council.


If you want to install or repair a public sidewalk, you must obtain a permit and specifications from the Department of Community Planning and Business Services, Permits and Code Enforcement Division. For more information call the Permit Office at 725-5300, extension 2238.

Tripping Hazards

Questions or Comments:

If you need any additional information or have any questions or comments, please call us at 301-725-0088 or you may e-mail us at [email protected].

Public Works Logo

Public Works

The Department of Public Works provides refuse and recycling collection, city infrastructure management and maintenance, snow and ice removal, and quick and effective responses to inclement weather damage.