Meeting-October 8, 2019 at 6:30 p.m.
- Take roll
- Review and vote on editing or accepting minutes from the September 17 meeting
- Conduct business
- Vice Chair
- Additional Ways to Help
- Facebook Page
- Emails to the Public
- Event Planning and Support
- Recruiting New Members
- Percent for Art Policy
- See attachment on page two
- Laurel 150th
- Children’s Art Poster Content
- Mobile Mural
- Day of Mayor’s Open House (March ?)
- Upcoming Meetings
- Tuesday, November 12 at 6:30pm
- Tuesday, December 10 at 6:30pm
- Tuesday, January 14 at 6:30pm
LAUREL ARTS COUNCIL
October 8, 2019
The Laurel Arts Council (LAC) held its October meeting from 6:40pm – 8:15pm at the Laurel Municipal Center in Laurel, MD, on October 8, 2019. Chair Kelsey Eustace called the meeting to order.
PRESENT: Kelsey Eustace, Melissa Holland, Bharati Dhruva, Inka Patel, Joanne Hall-Barr (Dept. of Parks & Recreation), Chris Dwyer, Angie O’Neal
ABSENT: Marilyn Byers, Leigha Steele (Dept. of Economic & Community Dev.), Monica Sturdivant
GUESTS: Lenda Dincer, Frank Ragone
Minutes from last meeting were accepted.
- Elections held for the positions of Chair and Vice Chair of the City of Laurel Arts Council. The vote taken and we are happy to announce, Kelsey Eustace and Melissa Holland re-elected as Chair and Vice Chair respectively. Elected to the Treasurer and Secretary positions are members Bharati Dhruva and Monica Sturdivant respectively.
- Chair – Kelsey Eustace
- Vice Chair – Melissa Holland
- Treasurer – Bharati Dhruva
- Secretary – Monica Sturdivant
- Overview about the minutes from last week. Mural, Art Poster Contest, Art Theater, Laurel High School Art Exhibit, Newsletter, and Facebook posting all discussed.
- There was a need for someone to oversee the LAC newsletter. Since members left, someone is needed to take over the role. Help is also needed for managing the LAC Facebook Page. There was discussion about utilizing YouTube. Joanne Hall-Barr indicated that there have been a lot of changes within the Laurel T.V. media department. That it is still an avenue to use as it pertains to exposure.
- Volunteer Commitment:
Members discussed what the expected time commitment from members could be in addition to our monthly meeting.
- Chris Dwyer volunteered to be the Newsletter editor. Angie agreed to seek out laurel artist, whom to feature in upcoming newsletter.
- Inka Patel has volunteered to post content to the Facebook page.
- Kelsey agreed to provide a brief overview session on the “how to” develop and create the newsletter and how posting is done.
- New members needed for the LAC:
Discussion about recruiting new members, ways to get members that would be a good fit.
- City of Laurel “ Percent for Art” program:
- LAC members reviewed the letter from Leigha Steele regarding the LAC’s vision for a City of Laurel “Percent for Art” program. All agreed, additional clarification is warranted. Specifically on: stronger wording needed as it pertains to; “ The LAC did not have a preference on the type of art that this policy would fund”, approve the funds, final approval and ensuring the “art” meshes and uplifts in that community within the City of Laurel. Outside of visual arts, how will it work as it pertains to other categories of artistic expression, dance, musical, or literary composition?
- Melissa indicated that further discussion warranted. The suggestion was made that we weigh-in after we learn more. All interested in inviting City staffer Robert to an LAC meeting, to speak about how they were able to leverage this program, as was done in Arlington, Va.
- Laurel 150th:
- Mobile Mural
- Details developing to design and execution of a mobile mural that says “We Are Laurel” in 20-25 languages of people who live here. Inka has agreed to work on the mural.
- Laurel Elementary School Poster Art Contest
- Two local elementary schools identified
- 11 X 14 poster board provided to the LAC, and held in Joanne’s office until dissemination to the selected schools.
- The theme discussed, “what makes you happy in your hometown?” October is National Arts & Humanity Month. Bharati and Angie to meet with Ms. Lee, Principal at the Laurel Elementary School, to discuss the logistics, grade level of students participants, material to be used, size of posters, rules, and requirements, possible art exhibit, judging the contest, timeline of contest, etc.
- Laurel High School Art Exhibit – Discussion to potentially host another exhibit at the Laurel Municipal Center. This exhibit will likely include seniors and teachers. Specifically, Senior/Teacher exhibit. Mixed or two separate exhibit. There is a new Principal at Laurel High School. More discussion/conversation warranted to outline details of this exhibit, looking at March/April timeframe. To possibly include music department and show, at the Laurel High School.
- Laurel Playhouse and SIP mentioned as possible venues to host LAC events, Poetry readings, spoken word, and possibly leveraging the basement area at local establishments.
- Upcoming Meetings:
- Tuesday, November 12th at 6:30pm
- Tuesday, December 10th at 6:30pm
- Tuesday, January 14th at 6:30pm
Meeting adjourned at 8:15pm
Angie O’Neal Date: October 22, 2019