Mayor Craig A. Moe read a proclamation at the September 24th Mayor and City Council Meeting, declaring October 10, 2018, as Walk Laurel Day.
Join Mayor Moe and other City employees on October 10th from Noon – 1pm as they walk from the Laurel Municipal Center, 8103 Sandy Spring Road, to McCullough Field and back, to celebrate Walk Laurel Day!
This fun, community event is part of Walk Maryland Day, a celebration of our official state exercise, which is walking! The goal is to promote awareness about regular walking for physical activity and improved health.
More than 2,400 Marylanders participated in Walk Maryland Day in 2017, and we are encouraging communities to help us increase those numbers! Local Leaders are being asked to:
- Host Walk Maryland Walks, hopefully in all 24 Maryland jurisdictions.
- Spread the word on social media, #WalkMD!
- Engage community leaders to boost event visibility and physical activity awareness.
- Support safe walking in Maryland through enhanced state agency coordination
- Promote school participation in Walk Maryland Day (International Walk to School Day). More than 100 schools participated in 2017.
- Promote worksite participation in Walk Maryland Day by directing Healthiest Maryland Businesses (HMB) and other Maryland worksites to walking resources.
Remember to join us on October 10th at Noon at the Laurel Municipal Center and let’s start improving our health in 2018 together!