The application period is currently closed.
The 2018 application period is from Apr 30, 2018 9:00 am until May 11, 2018 5:00 pm. It is currently Oct 20, 2018 12:55 am.
We are pleased to announce that applications are available for the tenth year of the Mayor's Summer Job Program. The Mayor's Summer Job Program for 2018 is open to Laurel youth who are City residents between the ages of 14 and 16 as of July 9, 2018; the first day of the program. Youth in the program must have written permission from their parents or guardians (on the application form), provide a copy of their most recent report card and, once a job offer is made, submit a Work Permit available online. Participants will work 20 hours per week (on average) and receive $10.10 per hour. Work assignments are intended to be meaningful; to help motivate career considerations, develop good work habits, and promote the City of Laurel. The required dress will be appropriate to the work assignment. Actual employment dates will be from July 9, 2018 through August 31, 2018, a period of eight weeks.
Persons interested in applying may visit the Laurel Municipal Center at 8103 Sandy Spring Road, Laurel, to obtain an application, or they may download an application online once their age and address qualifications are verified. All applications must be received on or before 5:00 p.m. May 11, 2018. (Note that City Offices will be closed the afternoon of Thursday May 10. 2018.) All qualified applicants will go through an interview process. Individuals wanting additional information or who want to make sure they live inside the Laurel city limits may check online or call (301) 725-5300.
Provided below is information about the 13 positions available in this year’s program. Use this information to determine first and second choice of assignment on the application. The preference stated on the application will be honored to the extent possible, but the City reserves the right to make assignments as needed to maximize participation in the program.The “location” given indicates where participants would report for work each day. All positions involve a 20 hour workweek, typically 9:30 A.M. to 1:30 P.M. Monday through Friday, but subject to change by the assigned department. Positions that include work in Microsoft® Word or Excel require that the applicant be proficient in the use of that software. Training will be provided in Laserfiche® for those positions required to use it, but the participant must have basic computer skills. Phrases in italics are to be used to summarize the work when completing the Minor Work Permit application.
OFFICE OF THE MAYORLocation: 8103 Sandy Spring Road, Laurel, MD
- The participant will perform general office duties including answering the telephone, filing, copying, scanning documents, creating e-file system, computer work in Microsoft® Word and Excel, research and special projects, record PSA’s for activities in the Mayor’s Office and other duties as assigned.
CLERK TO THE CITY COUNCILLocation: 8103 Sandy Spring Road, Laurel, MD
- The participant will perform general office duties including answering the telephone, greeting visitors, copying; scanning ordinances, resolutions and minutes for Laserfiche® electronic storage, compiling hardcopies of the City Charter and Code; indexing miscellaneous printed historic documents, and other duties as assigned.
CITY ADMINSTRATOR'S OFFICELocation: 8103 Sandy Spring Road, Laurel, MD
- The participant will perform general office duties including answering the telephone, filing, copying, pulling files for archiving or destruction, scanning, computer work in Microsoft® Word and Excel, research projects, and other duties as assigned.
BUDGET AND PERSONNEL SERVICESLocation: 8103 Sandy Spring Road, Laurel, MD
- The participant will perform general office duties with a special focus on scanning financial documents for Laserfiche® electronic storage, but also including filing, copying, pulling files for archiving or destruction, collaborating with other departments to perform an inventory of City businesses, special research projects involving tax accounts and business licenses, assisting with physical inventory of fixed assets and other duties as assigned.
LAUREL TV (2 positions)Location: 8103 Sandy Spring Road, Laurel, MD
- The participants will assist with everyday work around the cable TV studio, assist in developing ideas for program segments on Laurel TV and research topics, line up guests for studio productions, assist with in studio productions and, as availability allows, assist with field shoots and coverage of local event/community interest stories for the City’s Social Media. Participant will also work up a program concept, produce the program by gathering talent, camera people and director, edit the taped segments and submit to Laurel TV for airing on the PEG Access Channel and other duties as assigned.
ECONOMIC AND COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENTLocation: 8103 Sandy Spring Road, Laurel, MD
- The participant will perform a range of administrative duties including responding to department inquiries, filing, copying, scanning and computer work with Microsoft Office. The participant will work with staff on economic development and historic preservation efforts for the City. The ideal candidate must have interpersonal, research, written and oral communication skills. The candidate may be required to conduct site visits and attend meetings with department staff. .
FIRE MARSHAL AND PERMIT SERVICESLocation: 8103 Sandy Spring Road, Laurel, MD
- The participant will perform general office duties including answering the telephone, assisting at the front counter, filing, copying, scanning documents, and possibly some computer entry in Microsoft Word and or Excel. The participant may be asked to work on special projects to include accompanying Code Enforcement Officers into the field and perform other duties as assigned. The ideal candidate must be energetic, creative and have strong communication skills.
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGYLocation: 8103 Sandy Spring Road, Laurel, MD
- The participant will gain practical hands-on work experience in managing computers and enterprise software within a network infrastructure. Participant will configure and troubleshoot desktop and laptop computers, setup and manage network management software on desktops and laptops, provide help desk level support for all City technology and perform other duties as assigned.
PARKS AND RECREATIONLocation: 8103 Sandy Spring Road, Laurel, MD
- The participant will perform a wide range of general office duties including, answering telephones, filing, coordinating paperwork and assisting with many of the daily office duties that are commonly performed by the administrative staff. May participate in some ongoing Departmental Programs.
POLICE DEPARTMENTLocation: 811 Fifth Street, Laurel, MD
- The participant will greet and assist the public as needed or assigned. Participant will perform general office duties with a focus on preparing and assembling court hearing dockets for Red Light Enforcement cases; logging Red Light Enforcement return mail into system; assisting staff with special projects, and other duties as assigned.
PUBLIC WORKSLocation: 305-7 First Street, Laurel, MD
- POSITION #1 - The participant will perform general office duties which will include, but are not limited to, working with the front desk staff to review the Public Works website for errors and consistency in formatting and update as necessary; update the Commercial Customer Information, Commercial Toter Survey and the HOA Contacts lists. Work with the administrative staff to improve the current recycling program, focusing on promoting America Recycles Day to the local elementary schools and high schools. Applicants must be proficient in Microsoft Office and be familiar with web research. Experience in creative writing helpful.
POSITION #2 - Under the direction of the Assistant Director the participant will accompany workers in the various divisions of the Department of Public Works including the Streets Division, Waste Management and Tree Management. The participant will also work with the Engineering and Technical Services division to digitally scan City project documents and plans and update the MSDS book and the CLS list. The participant will participate in routine tours of the City to identify and report hazards in the right of way, and other duties as assigned. This position will involve a lot of walking and working outside.